Criteria for qualification for WESPAC (erstwhile WSC) 2017 seats:
Sherwin Rodrigues, Goutham Jayaraman and Ranganathan Chakrav will represent India. India has been allocated 3 seats at the WESPAC in Nairobi, Kenya. We have decided to keep the selection criteria based on the ratings, which have been well established over the last 9 years:
1. The top 3 ranked players as per the SAI ratings at the end of the selection period, meeting the remaining criteria below will represent India at the WESPAC.
2. The selection period will be the ‘Scrabble year’ starting after Nationals last year i.e. after 2nd June 2016 and up to the end of the Nationals this year.
3. Only players having played a minimum of 60 games during the selection period are eligible.
4. Only players that have played in at least 1 of the 2 tournaments: the Capgemini in Jan and the Mumbai Nationals to be held in May will be eligible.
5. Must be an Indian National i.e. with Indian Passport holder irrespective of residence period in the country.
6. Only SAI members are eligible – i.e. a player should be a valid member at the end of the selection period to be eligible.
7. Note that players have to be willing to cover their own costs for the tournament
8. In case a player who has been selected cannot attend the WSC for any reason, the same has to be informed to the managing committee within 15 days after the Nationals. In this case the opportunity would go to the next highest ranked player fulfilling the criteria and so forth.
Following the Mumbai Nationals, the top 10 on the Indian ratings are below. Those in Italics/ below strike-through do NOT meet the selection criteria for the WESPAC, hence will not be considered for a seat. As above, the top 3 i.e. Sherwin, Goutham and Ranga have been selected, and the others will be on stand-by in case of any drop-out for whatever reason.